Jennifer seeks to explore the fundamental parts that make us human through research of the human brain involving: memories, vision, communication, and vulnerability. Her works address memories that fade with time from complex images we see into simplified shapes, most times uncomfortable, sometimes awkward, and always not seeking approval. Jennifer uses this reduction as a way to process her physical and emotional conditions. In Jennifer’s painting Before and After, she invents a visual translation of the tactile Braille. This invented language is a combination of words and symbols that hold meaning only to her and are to be considered purely as abstract images communicating shape and color.
Jennifer’s practice is interdisciplinary, and she finds herself continually returning to weaving, ceramics, and painting. She learned to weave a decade ago and finds it has become a multi-sensory experience through feeling and counting fibers, as well as, hearing the squeaks and clanks of her loom. Weaving for Jennifer is an extension of a lifelong love of textiles. In contrast to the structure and method of weaving, she also loves the looseness and unpredictability of clay. Jennifer best captures clay’s capriciousness with clean, simple shapes. Painting for Jennifer explores a combination of quick and sometimes messy moments with slow methodical mark making.
Jennifer finds inspiration from reading science journals and cherishing the female minimalist artists that have come before her.
Bachelor of Arts in French May 2001
University Wisconsin Milwaukee
Concentration: Literature and Translation
MA Fine Art June 2016
Open College of the Arts
Metalsmithing - River East Art Center - Chicago, Illinois(2008-2010)
Spanish - Instituto Cervantes Chicago - Chicago, Illinois (2006-2008)
Drawing, Watercolor Painting, Oil Painting, and Maximalist Embroidery - School of the Art Institute of Chicago - Chicago, Illinois (2010-present)
3-D Collage - Evanston Art Center - Evanston, Illinois (2013)
Weaving and Basketry - The Chicago Weaving School - Chicago, Illinois (2011-present)
Weaving - Haystack Mountain School of Crafts - Deer Isle, Maine (August 2013)
Ceramics - Lill Street Art Center - Chicago, Illinois (2014-present)
The Chicago Weaving School Chicago, Illinois August 2016 - Present
- Studio Manager, Assistant Instructor, and Baskets Instructor. Including supervising and helping students with all weaving equipment, including but not limited to table, floor, frame, and tapestry looms; mending all of the above listed equipment when needed; keeping work spaces tidy; supervising, instructing, and helping students during basket weaving classes; organizing materials; managing students' use of materials and equipment; book keeping of attendance and class dues; inventory of yarns.
P.O.S.H. Chicago, Illinois June 2005 - Present
- Supervised daily store functions, responsible for shipments, inventory, ordering, training new employees, customer service, social media marketing; in charge of the website shipping and receiving area; deposits, cash maintenance; overseas shipment management through customs and special orders.
Chanel - Belk Department StoreCharlottesville, Virginia 2003 - 2005
- Organized product, performed inventory, responsible for learning new product information and execution, customer service and customer file maintenance, event planning through the Chanel brand and products, monetary goals and cash maintenance.
FeastCharlottesville, Virginia 2003
- Performed managerial duties; organized grocery store needs, responsible for ordering food and supplies, coordinated local suppliers and distributors on a daily basis, and managed store cash flow.
Pier 1 ImportsCharlottesville, Virginia 2002 - 2003
- Performed assistant managerial duties, supervised other employees, responsible for shipments, displays, and customer service, light paperwork & cash handling.
International Communication by Design, Inc. Milwaukee, Wisconsin 2000 - 2002
- Performed duties of office manager and assistant project manager; acted as a liaison between translators and clients; coordinated firm’s travel and presence for trade shows; accounting duties including accounts payable/receivable; typing, faxing, sorting, & other administrative duties; experience with major document design software including Office, Quark Xpress, Pagemaker, and Filemaker Pro.
Knitting, sewing, yoga, and making jams and preserves (my jams were featured in Chicago Home magazine’s holiday gift guide December 2008).
International Emerging Artist Award - Shortlist 2014
Artist in School - Chicago Weaving School 2014 - 2016
ARTBOX.PROJECT by ARTBOX.GROUPS group show New York 1.0 Digital Projection - Art Quartier Chelsea, New York - during Armory Art Week - March 5-17, 2018
Duet show at Yadawei Ceramics Studio and Gallery - Al Quoz, Dubai, United Arab Emirates - March 15 - 30, 2017
Solo Show at the Chicago Weaving School - Chicago, IL - February 18 - March 22, 2017
MA Fine Arts Show at The Civic - Barnsley, United Kingdom - June 15 - 28, 2016
Art + Science at Ann Street Gallery - Newburgh, NY - October 24 through November 28, 2015
Solo Show at Occhiali with Old Town Art Fair - Chicago, IL - June 12-14, 2015
Fiber Options at Maryland Federation of Art - Annapolis, MD - July 18 through August 9, 2014
Science Fair at the Visual Art Exchange - Raleigh, NC - October 3 through October 30, 2014